Yesterday I upgraded one of the two shack computers to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (the other one will stay on Windows 7 because it works better with some of my older gear). After the upgrade, I found that I had two problems. First, the AirNav RadarBox Mode-S/ADS-B receiver didn’t work because of a driver issue. Second, the RadarBox software lost most of its settings and the alert list I had built up over time.
Some web research quickly turned up a solution to the driver problem; there are no Windows 10 drivers for the RadarBox, but there are Windows 8 drivers and you have to force Windows 10 into using them. There are instructions in the AirNav forums for the Windows 8 drivers and these instructions work just as well for Windows 10. After using the instructions below, the RadarBox connected and worked just as it had under Windows 7 with no problems.
1. From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
2. Click ‘Change PC Settings’.
3. Scroll down, and click ‘update and recovery’
4. Click ‘recovery’
5. Click under advanced start up and restart now
6. Click ‘Troubleshoot’
7. Click ‘Startup Settings’
8. Click Restart
9. When Win8 restarts type the number next to \”Disable driver signature enforcement\”
For Windows 8 drivers please download:
1- Download the file above;
2- Unzip it to a folder on your computer;
3- Disconnect your RadarBox USB cable, wait a few seconds and connect it again;
4- When Windows prompts you to find the proper RadarBox driver browse the folder where you have extracted your drivers to;
If the above Windows prompt box does not appear:
1- Go to Windows Control Panel – Device Manager- USB Controllers – RadarBox – Driver – Update Driver
2- Point at the relevant folder and install the drivers
Unfortunately, there didn’t seem to be a fix for the settings issue. I had to go through and re-do most of the settings with the exception of my “home” coordinates. I’ll also be in the process of rebuilding the alert list for a while it seems; lesson learned here – I’ll be periodically backing it up to a text file. Thankfully, the logs it had built up over the last few years are still there and the software is using them just fine.